Amendment II
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.


Nonimmigrant Aliens Purchasing Firearms and Ammunition in the United States

Purchasing a flrearm from a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) to possess in the United States.  
A nonimmigrant alien generally MAY NOT purchase a firearm from an FFL and take possession of the firearm in the United States.  lf you violate this prohibition,  you could receive a maximum of 5 or 1O years of imprisonment, depending on the violation.
l. You establish that You:

For handguns: Have resided in the State where you are buying the handgun for 9O days AND intend to make a home in that State.

For long guns: Have resided in a State for 9O days and intend to make a home in that State - it does NOT have to be the State where the long gun purchase is occurring.

NOTE: Most foreign dignitaries and members of their entourages WILL NOT be able to meet the 90-day residency requirement.


2. You establish that You:

*Are an official representative of a foreign Government who is accredited to the United States Government or your Government's mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States and will possess the firearm in Your official capacity; OR

*Are an official of a foreign Government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State and will possess the firearm in your official capacity (if you have an official capacity); OR

*Are a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign Government entering the United States on official law enforcement business; OR:

*Were admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or are in possession of a valid hunting license or permit larwfully issued in the United States.

lf you meet these two criteria, you are eligible to purchase a firearm or ammunation from an FFL to possess in the United States. However, you MAY NOT take the firearm or ammunition with you when you leave the United States unless:

1. For sporting shotguns, you have an FFL export the firearm. The FFL must obtain an export license from the Department of Commerce (2O2-482-4811 ) prior to exportation.

2.  For firearms other than sporting shotguns, you have an FFL registered with the Department of State, Office of Defense Trade Controls (ODTC) (202-663-2714), export the firearm. The FFL must obtain an export license from the ODTC prior to exportation.

* The State Department recommends that you provide the FFL with a letter from your embassy on embassy letterhead explaining why you want to export the firearm. You also should provide an import authorization issued by the compelent Covernment office in Your country.